Christ Church was built in 1862. Designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the early English architectural style, it has a large chancel which is integrated with the nave by a high chancel arch. Scott was particularly influenced by the ‘decorated’ Gothic style of the late 13th and early fourteenth century which is reproduced in small scale in Christ Church Southgate. The building is listed as Grade II* and includes Pre-Raphaelite stained glass windows by the Morris firm with designs by William Morris, Burne Jones and Rossetti.
In 1859, the vicar, the Rev. James Baird held a meeting to consider the building of a new church to replace the Weld Chapel and accommodate the growing congregation. As a son-in-law of the Walker family, he was in a good position to direct their charitable efforts to the building of the new church. The church was built by public subscription and with the help of the Walker family.
The cornerstone of the church was laid on Saturday, 29th June 1861 and the new church was consecrated on 17th July 1862 by the Lord Bishop of London, Dr.Tait (later Archbishop of Canterbury). It was constructed in just over a year and cost £11,689.5s.8p. (from Dennis Willcocks – A History of Christ Church Society of Bellringers) The Weld Chapel was demolished in 1863 and its site remains marked in the old churchyard outside the West Door of the church (the enclosed area for burying cremated remains roughly delineates its ‘footprint’).